Spring Cleaning: 8 Places to Focus to Freshen Up
Winters can get long and homes can start to show the effects of being closed up for months at a time. As the warm weather approaches, getting the house in tip-top shape jumps to the top of most to-do lists. Here are eight places to focus to get your home feeling fresh.
- Welcome mat. As the first line of defense against tracked in dirt and muck, it makes sense that doormats need some attention to keep them functioning. Depending on the type of mat you have, give it a good shake, wash, or swat with a broom to get rid of anything trapped.
- Clean carpets and upholstery. Fabrics and carpets absorb a lot over time. Get them ready for another year by shampooing and cleaning upholstery with a rented carpet cleaner or using a professional in your area. If tackling the project yourself, make sure to practice in an out-of-the-way space to ensure you have the process down and that the machine does not discolor the fabrics or carpet.
- Walls, cabinets, baseboards, and woodwork. Walls may not seem as likely to need cleaning as other areas such as baseboards and cabinets, but don’t overlook them this spring. While most dust does fall to the floor, there is enough left of the walls that a quick wipe with a sponge and dishwashing detergent is not a wasted effort.
- Start clean to dirty. When tackling the entire house, start with the ‘clean’ jobs and finish with the ‘dirty’ ones. Clean all mirrors, walls, and countertops before moving on to items like showers and toilets.
- Clean ceiling fixtures. Ceiling fans may not get as much use in the winter, but that does not mean they do not collect dust. Remove dust and debris using a soft cloth or a vacuum with a soft nozzle attachment.
- Brighten your lights. Getting out the stepladder and spending a few minutes polishing the light fixtures will bring new life to your lights. A little all-purpose cleaner and a sponge will give new life to your lights.
- Clean the coils. If it has been a while since you pulled the refrigerator out and checked the coils in the back, it is time to make it happen. To remove the dust from the coils, gently pull out the refrigerator and use a vacuum to remove any buildup you find. You may also find some long lost treasures!
- Window washing. The insides of the windows may be looking great, but without the outsides getting some attention they will never look spotless. Shoot for a slightly cloudy day to make sure your cleaner does not dry while you are working!
The experts at Cambria® Mortgage™ are always available to provide guidance and answer questions about home ownership. For more information, visit CambriaMortgage.com or call 952-942-0110.