Finding Joy in Times of Uncertainty
When everything is going smoothly, it’s easy to be grateful. Ironically, it seems in times of stress–when we need a positive outlook most–we forget how great the life we are living really is. If the current state of our world has been weighing you down, here are some ways you can find the joy you’ve been missing again:
- Take Your Morning Back. It really, really matters how you start your day. Are you snoozing your alarm twice, skipping breakfast and rushing through your morning? Starting your day on a rushed note can destine it for feelings of anxiety and lack of control. Set your alarm for a realistic time. Try waking up an hour earlier than you usually would so you have the opportunity to go through the morning at your own pace. For more on feeling accomplished and doing something that brings you fulfillment first thing in the morning, check out our article on staying productive while working from home.
- Tame the Voice Inside Your Head. It’s easy to fall into a negative dialogue with yourself. But are things really as bad as the voice in your head is making them out to be? For any negative thought that surfaces in your mind, ask yourself… Am I being reasonable? Is this thought a product of overthinking? Some people find success in affirmations. For every negative thought, train yourself to react with a positive one. Take control of your headspace.
- Choose What You Consume. Is the news bringing you anxiety? Shut it off. Is social media doing more harm than good? Close the app. While technology and the media can make us feel a sense of connection when we are forced to distance ourselves from others, it can also induce fear. You are in control of what you let into your life, don’t allow anything in that brings a negative impact. It’s as simple as that.
- Communicate. Everyone has a right to feel how they’re feeling and process their emotions. What happens next is what matters most. Take time to reflect. Communicate how you’re feeling to those closest to you. Sometimes a simple conversation can go a long way.
- Give Back to Your Body. Eat well, hydrate, rest and move your body. It’s a commonly known fact that endorphins produced from exercising gives your mood a boost! It doesn’t matter if you spend 30 minutes in an intense workout or a leisurely walk, just get moving – it’ll help! Eating well and hydrating are a huge part of your mood too. When you’re nourishing your body, you feel better. Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water each day and mix some veggies in there. Lastly, our favorite one… Sleep! Make sure you are getting adequate sleep each night so you replenish the energy you need to power through your day.
- What’s On Your List? What are you grateful for? What are you looking forward to? What things bring you joy? What are the goals that you are working toward? Write these things down on paper. Every single day, recognize at least three specific things you are grateful for. Don’t write down bland things like “coffee.” Really try to be specific… “how good my coffee tastes today” or “how much energy my coffee has given me today” are great examples. Then, write down your goals. It will help you see your day-to-day in a more positive light, and envision the product of all of your hard work.
We may not be in total control of what is happening in the world around us, but we are in control of how we react. Use the tips we’ve provided to make a plan to find joy in these times of uncertainty. Whether in person or from afar, Cambria® Mortgage™ is always available to provide guidance and answer questions about home ownership. For more information, visit CambriaMortgage.com or call 952-942-0110.